Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Need help

This isn't good- I don't get a lot of the hw questions (Are there step by step answers for the sets?). In any case, let me point out a few that I have trouble on.

Set 1
18. I looked for A', which is .5(bh'+hb') and got .5(-20(.5)-15(1/3))
30. The answer is e but e doesn't satisfy the first requirement

Set 2
4. I don't get which formula I should use
15. After cross multiplying, I got y=2x
19 I have no idea how the nswer is a, besides the fact that there is an asymptote at y=10
31. Which formula did you use?
33. You l'hopital, I differentiated it to -8sin4x and -32cos4x and neither solution matches the answer
39. Don't quite get how they shaped the formula.
40. I differentiated it and got zero

Set 3
4. Which formula did you use?
7. Isn't is 3/4
9. I got -1/720

Thanks

4 comments:

Carol Lee :] said...

For 18, you did the right thing. it should come out to be -5 - 5/2 which equals -15/2 which equals -7.5 (d).
For 30, a number of people got the answer to be (c), but no one is sure how the answer is (e).

Carol Lee :] said...

Set 2
#4, you use the formula for average value : integral from a to b f(x)dx
#15, I'm not sure what you did here but you start out with the expression integral ydy = integral 4xdx. Then after solving and plugging in y(0)=1 to find the C value, you should get (e) to be the answer.
#19, you have to look at the way the lines face. If it goes like / then it's positive and \ is negative. What I did was plug in values for y to determine the correct slope field. (Notice when y=10, dy/dt is 0)
#31, I used the separation by parts. I set u=9x, dv= cos(3x +1) and you go from there.
#33 Did you get lim as x->0, (4cos4x)/(2x + 8) after the first l'hopital? I got that and it seems to work from there.
#39, I don't quite get what you're asking.
#40, I need help here too!

Cristina said...

Thanks for helping, how could I have been so absent-minded?

But how do you anti-differentiate set 2/#4? My answer, by u-subsitution, was -8pi. I don't get how the ln got there.

I got Set 2/#39, but #40 and set 3 is still confusing :(

Jennifer Oh said...

Oh!For set 2 #4, it's the rule for integrating the a^x not differentiating. You're probably thinking of the wrong one. And for 40, you have to multiply by the conjugate and the x^2 cancel out. Then, you change the remaining x to square root of x^2 cause that's the same thing. Then , you combine the root until you get 1+square root of (1+1/x). (1+1/x) is e^1. so when you ln you get .5. Hopefully, its not too confusing.