Monday, April 21, 2008

Infinite Series

Wow, what a confusing chapter

2b. The answer antidifferentiated it and added a "c." When integrating a series, do you always have to add a c? Also, I don't get how they got c to equal to -2, I mwan, I know they put ln(2-1)=0, but I don't understand why they did that.

4a. When you find f'(0) and f''(0)...I got -4xe^(-2x^2), 16xe^(2e^9-2x^2), so when you plug in the zero, f'(0)=0 and f''(o)=0, so apparently, the answer is just f(0) , since the other functions=0. What am I doing wrong?
b How do I know IOC if I don't have an r?
c.The answer put it at lf(x)-g(x)l is less than or greater than (16x^8)/4!. How did they know to stop at the 4th degree?

7a. I don't get how they found the equation to use to for finding the IOC.

9d. The LaGrange formula confuses me because I don't know to which degree I should use. In this case, they use it to the 4th degree.

10b. The LaGrange formula confuses me because I don't know to which degree I should use. Why is it the 4th degree in this case?

If you don't get what I'm asking, could you just show me what ways you used to solve the problem or what I may be doing incorrectly? Thanks.

2 comments:

MariaCJen said...

for 7a you have to test the endpoints

for 4a you jsut plug in -2x^2 as x into the power series.. i don't know if this helps but the fact that it's negative makes it alternating

for 4b IOC is just |-2x^2|< or equal to infinity because the series of e^x converges -infinity< u <+infinity

i need help on 4c too

that is as far as i got. haha sorry

Cristina said...

I don't quite get how, for 4b, the f(x) isn't differentiated for each degree and -2x^2 becomes the x. Are there more cases where the power is plugged in for x, not just for e^?