Tuesday, December 18, 2007

FR SET #5 1990 AB3

Hi, I am Michael Cupino from period 3. In FR Set #5 1990 AB3, I understand all the concepts of finding area and finding volume. Only thing that I couldn't do was solve for x, which is probably an Algebra thing, but I'm having a hard time finding x without using a calculator.

y=e^x, y=(x-1)^2
I'm having trouble solving for x.

e^x=(x-1)^2

"ln"ing both side did not help. I can find out where they intersect on the calculator, but this is the no calculator part. So it'd be great if someone could go over this little algebra problem.

2 comments:

Qway said...

Michael! Did you do some sort of substitution to get rid of y?...

For y=e^x, Ln 'both sides' so that you end up with this---> lny=x

For y=(x-1)^2...square root both sides?...

Don't set the two equations equal to each other! Remember, region enclosed by those two equations and the line x=1.

Carol Lee :] said...

When I asked Mrs. Carlson the same question, she told me that on the non calc part of the AP test, simple functions are always given. For this question, you can graph the functions and easily see that the interval for area is [0,1] (1 because of the x=1). Don't sweat it; alot of ppl tried setting the equations equal to each other but there's no need for this problem :)