Monday, March 24, 2008

Area HW #1

A few questions that I've been absolutely stumped on:

#3a. Let R be the region of the graph of y=lnx and x=3 and the x-axis. When finding the region of R, I differentiated y=lnx from x=0 to 3. My answer was 3ln3-3, but it should be 3ln3-2. Did anyone else get this answer?
b and c. I am also confused as to how the volumes were set up.

#4c. Why is it, when you use disks, the endpoints of the differentiable equations are different?

c. I got k=4 when the answer is k=.995. I divided the answer in 6b in half, differentiated the function, and then put k in the place of x. Then I graphed it to see when the differentiated function matched y=one half of 6b. What am I doing wrong?

#7. What do they mean by the chords A(-4,0) and B(0,2)? How do you figure out if it is tangent to y^2=8-x^(3/2)?

3 comments:

judy said...

for 3a you are supposed to integrate from 1 to 3

4c i used shells and i think it's easier this way

for 6c i got .995
maybe u plugged the numbers wrong?

#7 i'm not sure but this is what i did...
cord AB means a line?
so use the pts to find slope
and then find derivative of
y^2=8-x^(3/2)
and set them equal to each other
so it's 1/(2y)=1/2
so y=1
and plug back to equation and get x=-3

sorry if this is wrong

Anonymous said...

actually the process is correct for #7, but you wrote the wrong equation. you're supposed to find the derivative of y^2=4+x, then you'll get 1/(2y)=1/2.
the equation you wrote was from number 6

Cristina said...

Thanks