Saturday, January 5, 2008

AB Clue Problem Set #14

For the suspect problem, I set the two numbers as a & b.  Their sum is 30, so a + b = 30.  The sum of their squares is a minimum so a^2 + b^2 = a minimum.  This is where I got stuck.  I have no clue what minimum for what function the problem is describing.  No one posted about this problem yet, so I'm assuming I just don't understand the problem.  Can someone help clarify?


Also, for the treasure problem, I took the derivative of the function then the second derivative.
I came up with: f"(x) = x^5 - 9x^4 + 24x^3 - 16x^2 .  I then set this function to zero to find the zeros, but it seems as if there's no way to find the zeros w/o a graphing calc?  Please help!

2 comments:

Daryl Wang said...

For Suspect 14 you'll want to take the derivative the minimum expression a^2+b^2. You'll can simplify the equation for the minimum derivative by substituting 30-b for a. Once you do that you can take the derivative and make a sign graph. Then you can find the minimum of the graph.

For Treasure 14 first factor out a x^2. Then you can simplify the remaining cubic by using p's and q's and synthetic division. All the factors are simple integers so you shouldn't have much trouble finding them. Once you find the zeros you can make a sign graph and find the number of inflection points.

Carol Lee :] said...

Thank you! I understand both suspect 14 and treasure 14. Thanks for explaining so clearly :)