Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I'm a little worried...

I've only graded a handful of openers from today. I am seeing some scary things on the papers.
Here are some things I need to set straight:
  1. Identify the test you use!
  2. The Ratio Test only works for series with POSITIVE terms. Otherwise, you must use the Ratio Test for Absolute Convergence, which means you need the absolute value bars over everything.
  3. You can NEVER get a negative value after using the Ration Test. Why? See #2 above.
  4. The Ratio Test is INCONCLUSIVE when the limit = 1.
  5. The Alternating Series Test is INCONCLUSIVE if it fails.
  6. You do NOT want to compare 1/(ln(k+2)) to 1/k. This does NOT compare well. But you CAN compare it to 1/(k+2).
  7. When checking the endpoints, simplify before you do anything. It will make it so much easier to figure out.
I don't know...I have to get back to grading those. I am dreading it...I hope they get better.

No comments: